Principle of Operation:
The sample to be separated is applied, as a solution, near the center of a spinning disk coated with a thin layer of sorbent. Elution by solvent forms circular bands of the separated components which are spun off from the edge of the rotor together with solvent. A novel collection system brings the eluate to a single output tube.
|Capacity:||Up to 500 mg per component, 1-2 g total, e.g. dimethyl and diethyl phthalate in hexane – ethyl acetate 9:1 on a 4 mm layer of silica gel.|
|Sorbents:||Silica gel, alumina and silica gel – silver nitrate.
Not useful with RP sorbents.
|Solvents:||Compatible with all common chromatography solvents, including acetic acid.
Not suitable for use with mineral acids.
- No “spotting” of samples or scraping of bands.
- Separations are completed rapidly, typically within 20 min.
- A UV transparent lid allows direct observation of UV absorbing or colored compounds during the separation.
- Layer thickness of 1, 2, 4 or 8 mm gives high capacity. The sorbent layer is easily regenerated in situ for reuse.
- Solvents are used sparingly. Gradient elution is easy. A nitrogen atmosphere prevents oxidation of samples.
- Compact (easily moved from lab to lab), few controls, no high pressures.
- Low price. Half a dozen Chromatotrons cost less than a single prep HPLC.
Compounds without a chromophore are detected in the eluted fractions by conventional TLC.
Connection to refractive index and UV monitors is not recommended.
May be used with a fraction collector although hand collection is adequate.
For applications, search for chromatotron on the Internet. Several thousand applications of the Chromatotron can be located by a Google Scholar search for chromatotron. Refine your search by including the specific substance or general class, e.g:
- chromatotron alkaloid
- chromatotron glycoside
- chromatotron ibuprofen
- chromatotron antioxidant
- chromatotron enzyme inhibitor
- chromatotron hiv inhibitor
- chromatotron medicinal plants
Examples of Separations
- Cyclopentanone and cycloheptanone 2,4-dinitrophenylhydrazones, 4 mg, on a 1 mm layer of silica gel. A UV monitor was used for detection. This monitor is not supplied and is not required for operation of the Chromatotron.
- Strychnine and brucine (250 mg) on a 2 mm layer of silica gel. A UV lamp was used for detection. Bands on rotor are shown full size.
- Dimethyl and diethyl phthalate (1 g) on a 4 mm layer of silica gel.